Tuesday, December 28, 2010

I-N-D-E-P-E-N-D-E-N-T DO YOU KNOW WHAT THAT MEAN?

Long ass title but it's fittingly appropriate. Let me explain. I used to be the person who wouldn't go shopping alone, who wouldn't go to the grocery store alone, who wouldn't even like frolicking on the daisy abundant fields alone (okay, who would do this alone? oh, you would? ohhh...awkward...) After just a semi-short, semi-long semester off (okay, twenty minutes away...but still) at college but I came back a changed women (girl, chick, baby gurrrlll, vagina carrier, or whatever). Now, I actually enjoy it and sometimes even prefer it. It's nice to be able to do something by yourself for yourself, it's awesomely liberating. HIP HIP HORRAY FOR WOMEN AND INDEPENDENCE!
My post-Christmas shopping extravaganza wasn't my typical "let's hit the mall!," oh no, no no no! (I've been avoiding my mega packed super ghetto mall like the plague, lame.) But it practically forces me to be more proactive and shop at different places unless I want to get mugged or cat-called at (the lather I mind less).
So to the thrift stores I ventured! It also didn't hurt that goodwill was 50% off on the 26th and salvation army was over 50% off, score! I forgot how much I loved thrift stores; they push you to try things you would never even imagine to pick up! Unlike normal stores like F21 and Urban Outfitters, thrift stores don't have genres of clothing and they don't carry what's "in" or hip at the moment. It also makes me want to revamp clothing that I like into something I'll love and be proud of rather than spending quadruple the amount of money I would've at a store on something generic that everyone else will also be sporting.
On the 26th, I thrifted with my bestie laura and then my mother, and both trips were fairly different experiences. When I thrift with laura, it's magic, we have this sort of chemistry that just flows between us. We know what each other digs and what we don't and it's fun to pick random weird stuff to try on (and end up loving...okay, only I do but still!) When I thrift with my mother, it's different. I'm not saying it's not fun but it's not the same. She still thinks I dress odd, weird, crazy, and teenage-like (well...duh). But still, she likes it...sometimes. So when I thrift with her, it's nice to have her pick up the tab (cheap is still not cheap enough for a poor college student like me, boo.)
What were we talking about again? Oh yeah, independence. Well on the 27th (today), I decided to do it solo (NOT LIKE THAT...get your minds out of the gutters...heh I still giggled). I used to hate shopping with just me, myself and I but I found it to be refreshing. It was nice to shop at my own pace, to dwiddle dwaddle around looking at ludicrous stuff, and actually like it. Chheyaaa, I definitely felt like the girl WEBBIE rapped about, but on a lesser level (I'm not THAT independent...yet!) Nevertheless, it was still a small victory for moi! Can I get a what what?!
(LOOK AT MY FACE, I'M SO MUGGIN' AT THE CAMERA AHAHA!)

cropped leather jacket: h&m
leopard top: buffalo's exchange ($7)
skirt that's a size too big: taiwan
black over the knee high socks:f21 ($3)
grey booties: mother's
gold dreamcatcher-esque necklace: f21 ($6)

Are there any activities that you like to do sans personas?

6 comments:

  1. you are not 17 anymore fools. lets make a fatty dream catcher one day yeah? and the title reminds me of senior women hahh.
    and yes we have amazing chemistry when thrifting love <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Little lady I love your outfit! I have yet to go thrift shopping... I keep putting it off and putting it off. :/ I'm dying to find some amazing pieces too. *SIGH. I love the title of your post... that song used to be my ring tone for like a month, haha! Happy Holidays, sweetie! Hope your next semester is amazing :)


    http://pancakeSTACKER.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. aww you're too cute. and hells yes to being "Miss Independent" as Neyo said. lol. aw we muust go thrift shopping sometime! please :). it sounds like you're such a pro at it, & i'll finally have luck finding amazing things when you're there to shop with! hope you have a lovely new year girl!! and keep inspiring :).

    <3, Kathleen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wooohooo! YAY FOR INDEPENDENCE. I'm almost unhealthily independent. To the point where I have more imaginary friends than I do real friends. It's okay. I totally support being anti-social! WOOOHOOO.

    You look so adorably fierce. i love the layering. And you TOTALLY RAWK those thigh high socks. Um, can I get a VA VA VOOOM?

    Happy New Year!
    QUIRKYEXPLOSION.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I'm not shopping w/ my sister, I prefer shopping alone haha. If I shop w/ anyone else, I feel like they slow me down (as sad as it sounds, but I head straight to stores that I want to, and once I'm done I want to push on to the next store).

    And I looove thrifting. But sometimes I get bad allergies in thrift stores, Goodwill, vintage stores, etc. And it's hard browsing thru all the stuff to find something you really, really like that is in acceptable condition. But when I do find one, it's such a treasure!

    I love your cropped leather jacket, and your Leopard top. I love going to Buffalo Exchange!

    Happy New Year, Anisa!! <3 Sherrie

    ReplyDelete
  6. great outfit! love thrifting.
    happy new year!
    <3 mode.
    http://modestylist.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead. Leave a comment. I dare you. I double dare you. I triple doggy dare you. HA! I also quadruple doggy dog dare you to follow me as well! (I'll love you forever and evaazz if you do!)