Saturday, January 29, 2011

BAROQUE-Y

The bright warm sun in Berkeley disappeared this morning leaving us with the cold wet foggy, also known as typical Berkeley weather. Pffft, as the saying goes "all good things come to an end." Despite the troubling weather, things have been going blushingly well both here and in my life. I've been trying to be more proactive this semester (new years resolution #6) by applying to Caliber Magazine and BARE magazine (new years resolution #7). Not trying to be greedy or anything, but I'm hoping I'll get both of them (FINGERS CROSSED!) so I'll have something to do besides sitting on my huge salt and vinegar induced ass and tumblring (which is totally breaking new years resolution #11).
Forgive my awkward facial expressions, the sun was shining right at my little eyes, the poor things didn't stand a chance. It probably didn't help that I feel super awkward having other people taking my photos, I don't know it's just one of those things (hey, what can I say, I'm a shy bird!) When I brought back this nifty little thrifted fleur-de-lis shirt, my mother wondered why I would EVER pick up something so obviously old and matronly. Hey, it was shiny, cheap and such a velvety delight for my fingertips! I just couldn't resist such an epicly fluffy purchase! My mother always tells me that I'm an "interesting" dresser, that I have a knack for picking out the most ridiculous item and making the weirdest pairing of things. Personally, I take that as a compliment, thank you mother dearest!
Ah, I love this necklace. Even though I'm always weary about buying jewelry (I'm much more of a clothing or shoes person, the only jewelry I wear on a day-to-day basis is my silver "colors of the wind" ring, friendship bracelets, and silly bandz, yee) so buying anything new is always a difficult task for me. And I'm also a typical asian, cheap. But since I had a gift card to the ever so lovely F21, I felt that I could diverge from my comfort zone and splurge a little, just this once. I just adore the way it sparkles, shines, twinkles, and glows. It definitely adds a certain element to my outfits. And it's ginormous and shiny, yay!
This whole outfit reminds me a little bit of the Baroque time period. The shirt, the shoes, the colors, just everything. UHH...maybe just a tad? Maybe not, but even so, I'm totes going to pretend to be all art major-y and say that my outfit "reminisces the Baroque period by focusing on their appreciation of natural raw colors. The designs and details also reminds me of a more antique-like vintage nature that was essential for the fashion of that time period." Does that sound vaguely legit? No? Well, fudge, there goes my BSing skillage that took me a good four years (aka high school) to perfect. Poopcakes.
denim vest: thrifting decal swap
velvet fleur-de-lis granny top: thrifted ($2)
leggings: f21 ($7)
trouser socks: dollar store ($1)
baroque-esque ankle boots: urban outfitters ($20)
bling bling necklace: f21 ($7)

4 comments:

  1. SOO cute!! can we please go thrifting soon? haha. you have so many aamazing finds! $2 top? where'd you get it?? i lovelove your boots so much too!! haha no worries girl, i always squint my eyes in pics when it's too sunny, most of the time it just seems like I'm closing my eyes alll the way haha. and agreed, this weather SUCKS. i can't wait for the sun to come out again for much-needed warmth. and you should go to Crossroads for jewelry too! they have amazing rings :). i'm crossing my fingers for you, that'd be soo cool if you did TWO magazines!

    hope you're doing good lovely! and the weekend has been relaxing before (boo) school comes back tomorrow haha. see you sooon! <3.

    <3, Kathleen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree - the outfit does look a little baroque-y. And I love your pretend-to-be-art-major moment - it was pretty believable ;) And you seem to be like such a good thrifter. Teach me your ways, yeah?

    And I hope you get into BARE and/or Caliber too ;) Both are good magazines, although I do know they are rivals. So tread carefully.

    xo Sherrie

    ReplyDelete
  3. loving the print on the shirt love! and that necklace be super epic. i understand the whole awkward i don't want other people to take pictures of me feeling. this is why i rarely have outfit posts because i fail at life with self-timer! love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish you the best of luck in your magazine endeavors :)

    And I love your the print on your fleur-de-lis shirt! I'm sure your mom is going to grow used to your interesting way of dressing soon enough, but then again, parents are sometimes the most intense critics of their offspring.

    And I love your ankle boots - anything reminiscent of menswear is okay by me.

    - Sharon

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead. Leave a comment. I dare you. I double dare you. I triple doggy dare you. HA! I also quadruple doggy dog dare you to follow me as well! (I'll love you forever and evaazz if you do!)