Sunday, February 13, 2011

SATC, BERK STYLE

Minus NYC, replace it with Berkeley, minus sex, substitute with food, and you have my Saturday! After realizing that this would be the last sunny beautiful day in Berkeley for a good while as the rain will start pouring on Monday and stop indefinitely, we've decided to spend the day outside by going to the Berkeley Flea Market down by Ashby Bart. So I rounded up my floormates (man, I just realized how often I go out with my floormates. Dang, I need new friends asap! Any takers? I'm nice, I promise!) and we tra-laa-laaa-ed our way over there. 30 minutes of walking or so later, we arrive at the quant little flea market.

While it was small, there was definitely a certain je ne sais quoi about it; it was effortlessly very Berkeley. Perhaps it was the variety of vendors or the live street music that filled the air with rich dirty Berkeley culture that we've all grown to love, but whatever it was, it was amazing. There were all kind of goodies! From XXX DVDs for the naughty souls, to soul food trucks for the hungry souls, to belts for the cheapo inside all of us, to vintage photos for the hoarders, pretty much anything you could imagine and more for everyone and anyone.
My favorite was definitely the ring selection, hands down. THERE WAS SO MANY RINGS! I DIE! I seriously had to be dragged away kicking and screaming from each booth because I simply wanted to try on and buy EVERYTHING. My drug of choice are rings and my drug dealer is Berkeley. I need rehab because this ring addiction is getting way out of control. I ended up with only a pair of sunglasses that I believe are faux ray bans, oh well, they were only $5 and I can't be trusted with nice things since I have a track record of sitting on my sunglasses, oopsies. How does this relate to SATC? Well, in SATC 2, they also go shopping in a flea market...only the flea market was in Dubai. Berkeley, Dubai, CLOSE ENOUGH.
Afterwards, we went to see the Vagina Monologues ({ }) on campus. It was utterly spectacular. It was funny, heartwarming, hilarious, gut wrenching, and flippin' AMAZING. I mean, everyone else must have thought so too because it was sold out for all three days. Seriously, the cast was so great! They gave me chills; they made me laugh until I cried, made my heart ache and my eyes wet.
Despite the performance running about 3 hours, I thought it was worth every single second. Women should love and own their V-A-G-I-N-A-S, not be afraid or embarrassed by it! Come on, men always compare their penises and talk about their penises, and it's seen as crude or taboo to even bring up the "v-word." OH PLEASE, we're in the 21st century now, GROW UP! Live and let live! Sheesh! This is so very SATC, I mean, it was 3 hours of vaginas, sex, vaginas, and more sex, I know Samantha would be proud.
We scadaddled as fast as we could back to the dorms (it was freezing out, booo!) to do a little nail painting for our V-day dinner, then had a fatty-caloric-filled-feast at late night (custom-made pizzas, chili cheese fries, chicken rice bowl, brownies, and tater tots), and the grand finale, watched the latest jersey shore (guilty pleasure! And Ronnie, I hate you! DESPISE!), which was the perfect way to end such a girly-bonding day. Sounds like every recap night, morning after breakfast, and we're-here-to-help-you-get-it-together moments those chic SATC gals had themselves! I seriously love my floormates, they are the absolute best friends I could have ever made here. We compliment each other so well and we call each other out on our shit; we just make sense. I love them to pieces.
white tank top: stolen from roomie! (Gap)
nautical like skirt: charlotte russe ($20)
nude patent oxfords: urban outfitters ($20)
thick silver necklace: f21 (gift from cousin!)
faux ray bans: flea market! ($5)
blue jacket (it got cold when the sun set): taiwan

The most depressing, sad, pathetic, self-wallowing, suicidal holiday for singlings, like myself, is tomorrow; Valentine's Day. Okay, suicidal may be pushing it a teensy weensy itsy bit, but it is most definitely Singles Awareness Day, aka S.A.D., UHH...WAIT...UHHHH... Anyways, so yes, another lovey dovey rose petal and chocolate heart filled holiday for those lucky enough to be "happy and in love" (ew! gross! barf! just kidding!), and sad, dark, poopy day for us spinsters. In order to not feel so lonely and pathetic, My floormates and I have decided to celebrate Valentine's Day by getting all dolled up and venturing into the city for a nice dinner at Cheesecake Factory. Screw boys, who needs them when we have each other?! Now, that's very SATC of us if I may say so myself!

6 comments:

  1. love your outfit! <3
    i'm following you now, follow me back? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. 'Berkeley, Dubai, close enough'- lol, you're hilarious!
    2. The Berkeley flea market sounds amazing, I'll have to make my friend take me there if I visit her! Is it only open on the weekend?
    3. Your vday plans sound very fun- I just have a chill night with my friends planned :)
    4. Love your nude oxfords- you look super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. omgoshhh I love your outfit girl! this sounds like such a fun day, love the patterned sunglasses! rings are ALSO my drug of choice, so addicting!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. you look cute. just nominated you for a stylish blogger award so go check it out and spread the love.xxx

    www.blazerwhore.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful post, I love your sunnies, you have such adorable style!
    Hope you had fun with your chums at the cheescake factory
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gosh your outfit looks so freaking cute. And I really need to get to that flea market - I need some new rings ;) And I love collecting cheap sunglasses.

    I've been meaning to go see the Vagina Monologues, but I never have. I've been here for almost three full years and have not once gone. Is it recommendable? i don't want to watch a bunch of feminists talking and lecturing me for a couple of hours though...

    xo Sherrie

    PS: PLEASE let us hang out this weekend w/ Kathleeeeen

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead. Leave a comment. I dare you. I double dare you. I triple doggy dare you. HA! I also quadruple doggy dog dare you to follow me as well! (I'll love you forever and evaazz if you do!)